If you can’t find a game you really like on Linux then TeeWorlds may be a good bet. This is a game I play since more than a year, and it’s crazy fun.
TeeWorlds is a 2d platform shooter game, which features uniquely the multiplayer (online) mode. The protagonists are the tees, cute rounded creatures with a weakness for weapons.
The game gets inspiration from first person shooters, but puts everything in a 2d perspective, looking more similar to classic 2d platforms (like Super Mario) in a way.
TeeWorlds is very nice looking and and very polished. It also features nice sounds, but, for choice, no music.
It’s also multiplatform, so, if you don’t use Linux, you can get it easily for Windows or MacOsX.
TeeWorlds features a fast paced gameplay. Very fast, and quite profound. Speed, precision, tactic and strategy all play a big role in the game.
Tees can use 5 weapons, Hammer, Gun, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher and Laser, which vary in many effects, and need different tactics to be used properly.
Also one thing characteristics of tees is they’re able to use a chain to hang from the walls or hook opponents. This becomes rapidly very funny and it’s the real mark of the game other than a powerful tool for trapping the enemy while you blast him.
GiovaMaster punishing his opponent
Having the hook at disposal also allows skilled players to run and fly *fast* across the maps, and perform pretty nify tricks.
Beside the hook, the grenade launcher itself is a little gold mine, allowing high jump (shooting to the ground), fast running etc. That’s to say TeeWorlds offers much room for improving your skill and learning new tricks.
Three standard game modes are present:
- DM – DeathMatch: all vs all battle, the best scorer wins.
- TDM – Team DeathMatch: battle between two teams.
- CTF – Capture The Flag: teams have to defend their own flag and steal the opponent’s.
Beside this games a whole range of mods has been developed by the community, so it’s quite easy to get engaged in other play modes:
- Instangib: Tees are armed with just the laser, and get killed with one shot.
- Race: this kind of maps just consist in a race to be the first to get to the other side of the map. The fastest wins.
- Run maps: same as the Race, but it’s a race against the timer. If your time is good you get listed in the top five. This kind of map is often full of obstacles, or difficult parts you have to figure out how to get past.
- Many more !
Sample mod: football !
Are you sold already?
Note: Teeworlds runs on Ubuntu, but don’t let its presence in the universe repositories mislead you, it’s an old version (incompatible with the new internet servers). Right now, the latest version is the 0.5.1. Get it here.
If you run compiz I advise you to stop it (if you forget and something goes wrong, you can exit the game with Ctrl+Shift+Q).
Mandatory video to close the post:
When I see classifics like “Top 5 games on Linux” or so, I’m always surprised to not see this one. If you happen to like it, drop me a comment !