Getting a gaming desktop under $1000 does not mean a huge amount of compromising with regard to your requirements; you just need to be smart about where you spend your money. You will also need to do some work putting together the parts for your gaming desktop. Many stores offer you to pick the parts and then they build it for you, or if you prefer portability you can always go for a gaming laptop in the 800 – 1000 dollars price range. Do you still want to build your own affordable gaming desktop computer? Let’s start then.
A gaming desktop needs the following
1. CPU: This is one of the first choices you have to make. The two most important items on the list are the CPU and the Video Card. Depending on what is more important to you, processing speed or visuals, you need to decide which one you will spend more on. We suggest the Intel Core i5-6500 processor which is available at around $205. It has a clock speed of 3.2GHz and comes with an inbuilt cooler. If you want more processing power, try Core i5-6600 with a clock speed of 3.3GHZ for $225.
2. Video/Graphics card: We recommend ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 or the slightly more expensive ($20) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970. Zotac has 4GB GDDR5 video memory and supports a max resolution of 2560×1600 and 4X display monitors. It is a powerful video card for those who enjoy great graphics which are essential for those first person role playing games.
3. Motherboard: Recommended motherboard is MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard B150A GAMING PRO. It has 6x SATA3 Ports and DDR4 RAM. It also has 6 USB 3.0 ports. For connecting to the solid state drives a new M.2 slot is required.
4. Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB is a trusted brand for memory cards. It has a 16 GB DDR3 memory and a 1600GHz clock speed. It is compatible with all the latest CPUs and Motherboards.
5. Hard Drive: Toshiba 3.5-Inch 2TB is an SATA interface 7,200 RPM desktop series drives which operates at speeds up to 6 GB/s. It has all the additional storage space you need.
6. Power Supply: EVGA 500 B1 80 has a high amperage multi-rail design for maximum power and efficiency. It has enough protection like over and under voltage protection and short circuit protection for all your other expensive parts. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.
7. Optical Drive: Samsung Electronics 24xSATA Half Height DVD-Writer Internal Optical Drive is 1.5GBPS SATA burst transfer rate optical drive to run all the gaming DVDs that you enjoy.
8. Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case is a stylish case which is builder friendly and has 2 x 140/120mm fans on the front and a LED light.
9. Operating System: Windows 10 is the best OS for most gaming sessions in the market today.
The total Cost of the build works out to
|CPU||Intel Core i5 - 6500||$205|
|Video/Graphics card||ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970||$310|
|Motherboard||MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard B150A GAMING PRO||$105|
|Memory||Corsair Vengeance 16GB||$80|
|Hard Drive||Toshiba 3.5 - Inch 2TB||$75|
|Power Supply||EVGA 500 B1 80||$50|
|Optical Drive||Samsung Electronics 24x SATA||$18|
|Case||Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case||$50|
|Operating System||Windows 10||$105|
Have fun building your gaming PC!